Traverse City, Mich. – Aug. 9, 2018 – Although the 2018 Great Lakes Equestrian Festival (GLEF) is coming to an end, as the final week of the six-week-long circuit got underway on Wednesday, top show jumping action at the Flintfields Horse Park is only just heating up. In its second consecutive week of FEI CSI3* competition, Samuel Parot, representing Chile, raced to top honors in the $35,000 CWD Welcome Speed Stake CSI3* riding his own Atlantis on Thursday in the Grand Prix Ring.
Parot is no stranger to the winner’s circle at GLEF with multiple wins to his name, including claiming the festival’s top prize in 2016 in the $100,000 Grand Traverse Grand Prix CSI3* with Quick Du Pottier.
Parot acquired Atlantis in 2015 and, after only a few months of partnership, the pair won two Longines FEI World Cup™ Jumping CSI3*-W qualifiers one month apart at the Sacramento International Horse Show and at the Royal West in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Since then, they have consistently achieved top results at the highest levels of the sport and are qualified to compete at the upcoming FEI World Equestrian Games™ in Tryon, North Carolina, in September.
After giving Atlantis some well-deserved time off starting in September 2017, the gelding returned to the competition ring in June and has collected four top three finishes out of seven classes at CSI2* and CSI3* events.
Thursday’s class saw 37 international horses and athletes vie for first place around the Michel Vaillancourt-designed one-round speed course, which produced a total of nine clear jumping rounds.
After finishing second to Kristen Vanderveen (USA) and Bull Run’s Faustino De Tili, owned by Bull Run Jumpers Five LLC, in Friday’s $35,000 Grand Traverse Classic CSI3* during Week V, Parot and the 15-year-old Zangersheide took their turn in the spotlight on Thursday, crossing the finish line with the fastest clear round in 62.93 seconds.
Vanderveen took home the red ribbon for second place in 65.94 seconds, while Diego Javier Vivero Viteri (ECU) and Javier Estrada Gonzalez’s Bijoux secured the third place position in 67.99 seconds.
The 2018 GLEF runs through Sunday, Aug. 12, and will host more FEI CSI3* action throughout Week VI in the Grand Prix Ring with the $35,000 Great Lakes Classic CSI3* on Friday followed by the circuit’s grand finale, the $100,000 Grand Prix of Traverse City CSI3*, to be held on Sunday at 2 p.m. To purchase tickets for Sunday, click here.
Samuel Parot (CHI) – $35,000 CWD Welcome Speed Stake CSI3* winner
“Atlantis is my best horse. He’s 15 years old and he has a lot of experience with me. He’s won at the CSI3*, CSI4* and CSI5* levels. He is a really special horse. He’s a little hot but is careful as could be. He’s very, very smart.”
On Atlantis’ performances thus far at GLEF:
“He’s been on a break since September of last year [and started competing again in Tryon in June]. Last week, he was second in the [$35,000 Grand Traverse Classic CSI3* on Friday]. He’s a really nice horse.”
“This is a really fantastic show. The people, the office, the city, the lake — for me, it’s a really top show.”
$35,000 CWD Welcome Speed Stake CSI3*:
Place / Horse / Athlete / Country / Owner / R1 Faults / Time
1. Atlantis / Samuel Parot / CHI / Samuel Parot / 0 / 62.93
2. Bull Run’s Faustino De Tili / Kristen Vanderveen / USA / Bull Run Jumpers Five LLC / 0 / 65.94
3. Bijoux / Diego Javier Vivero Viteri / ECU / Javier Estrada Gonzalez / 0 / 67.99
4. Apollo / Molly Ashe Cawley / USA / HS Sportferde Gmbh / 0 / 70.06
5. Indigo / Margie Engle / USA / Griese Garber Hidden Creek and Gladewinds Farm / 0 / 71.11
6. Il Rubacuori / Roberto Teran Tafur / COL / Roberto Teran Tafur / 0 / 72.14
7. Liroy 30 / Taylor Land / USA / Taylor Land / 0 / 74.91
8. Enjoy / Manuel Alvarez Ruizgalindo / MEX / Manuel Alvarez Ruizgalindo / 0 / 76.00
9. Chance STE Hermelle / Michael Morrissey / USA / QBS Equestrian LLC / 0 / 77.54
10. Carna Z / Gustavo Prato / ARG / Equus Forte LLC / 4 / 65.32
11. Avel De Lande / Samuel Parot / CHI / Samuel Parot / 4 / 69.58
12. VDL Bravo S / Hunter Holloway / USA / Hays Investment Corp. / 4 / 71.83
The Great Lakes Equestrian Festival (GLEF) returned to the Flintfields Horse Park for Week VI of the 2018 circuit on Wednesday, kicking off CSI3* competition with the $6,000 Staller 1.40m Jumper CSI3* class in the Grand Prix Ring.
In her GLEF debut, two-time U.S. Olympic gold medalist and No. 12 ranked athlete in the world on the Longines Rankings list Beezie Madden proved why she is the reigning Longines FEI World Cup™ Jumping Final champion, riding to the top of the leaderboard with Abigail Wexner’s Jiva.
Madden and Jiva have been partnered together since March 2017 and claimed their first FEI win in the $6,000 Bainbridge 1.40m Jumper CSI3* class in January at the Winter Equestrian Festival in Wellington, Florida. Most recently, the pair topped the $35,000 Old Salem Farm Jumper Classic CSI3* during the Old Salem Farm Spring Horse Shows in May.
The decorated athlete, who owns and operates John Madden Sales, Inc. based in Cazenovia, New York, with her husband, John, jumped clear and outraced a total of 24 international horses and athletes with the 9-year-old Belgian Warmblood mare in the one-round speed competition to secure the blue ribbon.
Beezie, who is currently shortlisted on the NetJets® U.S. Show Jumping Team for the FEI World Equestrian Games™, took the early lead in the class as the first to finish clear, setting the pace to beat at 62.76 seconds.
Nine other combinations jumped fault-free over the course, designed by Canada’s Michel Vaillancourt, but it was Peter Lutz (USA) who finished with runner-up honors aboard Camillo VDL, owned by Gallagher/Meller Sport Horses, for the second week in a row in 63.56 seconds.
Rounding out the top three in Wednesday’s featured international show jumping event at GLEF was once again Mary Manfredi (USA) and Excellent, owned by Bosch Sport Horses, who crossed the finish line just four-tenths of a second slower than Lutz in 63.92 seconds.
$6,000 Staller 1.40m Jumper CSI3*:
Place / Horse / Athlete / Country / Owner / R1 Faults / Time
1. Jiva / Beezie Madden / USA / Abigail Wexner / 0 / 62.76
2. Camillo VDL / Peter Lutz / USA / Gallagher/Meller Sport Horses / 0 / 63.56
3. Excellent / Mary Manfredi / USA / Bosch Sport Horses / 0 / 63.92
4. Capito Z / Peter Leone / USA / Capito Group LLC / 0 / 65.53
5. Very Chic Du Tillard / Peter Lutz / USA / Gallagher/Meller Sport Horses / 0 / 66.43
6. Cedane D / Alison Robitaille / USA / M/M Bertram Firestone / 0 / 68.65
7. Coldplay / Mattie Hatcher / USA / Mattie Hatcher / 0 / 70.50
8. Coach / Beezie Madden / USA / Abigail Wexner / 0 / 71.12
9. Express Blue GP Dubois Madame / Caitlyn Connors / USA / Caitlyn Connors / 0 / 75.75
10. Coolmann 7 / Ashley Baker / USA / Grand Slam Farm / 1 / 76.68
11. Venice Beach / Quentin Judge / USA / Double H Farm / 1 / 76.72
12. Dominicus B / Ilan Bluman / COL / Katherine Benard / 4 / 64.76